EAN Insider Info: Our new Hotel API v3
With the recent release of our newest API, we wanted to get some inside scoop on what it is like to develop with our Hotel API v3 and open it up to our affiliates – so we asked an expert. Meet Imran Qureshi, a Technical Integration Manager here at EAN who knows a thing or two about our new API. Read on for his insight and inside info on what the new Hotel API is really like.
- RESTful API – Speedy development
- Having never programmed with the V3 Hotel API before I was extremely keen to get my hands on an early beta release of the V3 Hotel API and test drive its RESTful interface and features. Glad to say, in a few days, I managed to develop a full working integration covering the 4 core API methods: getList to search hotels, getInformation to view specific hotel information, getAvailability to see available hotel rooms and getReservation to book a room. With the core application development complete, all that was left was to polish and improve the overall User Interface and workflow experience – something I assumed would be easy but in fact proved to be a far more labour intensive task than developing against the core V3 Hotel API itself!
- Comprehensive Examples
- The Developer Hub has a lot of great examples that are intuitive and easy to follow. All can be cut and paste for reuse if required. This proved to be really valuable in gaining momentum to develop (and troubleshoot) the V3 Hotel API.
- True REST API
- The V3 Hotel API accepts name/value pair requests. The result is a simple, lightweight query string request that is easy to construct and debug. Naturally smaller units of code would result in an overall more rapid, streamlined application.
- JSON Response – Client Side Scripting
- XML Response
- For affiliates that prefer to receive XML responses, like for Server Side integration as opposed to Client Side development, the Restful API can also return full XML.
- Flexible API Interface Choice
- Depending on your programming preference and integration requirements, you can choose to interface against the V3 Hotel API using either a RESTful or SOAP end point. Complex integrations typically rely on a combination of several API interfaces so as a developer you have the ability to choose what is optimal for your environment.
- Ping Request
- This new method is only available with the V3 Hotel API. It is useful in checking if the live API service is available and operational.
- This is handy request element that allows you to choose the number of available room types the API should return when you perform a hotel city search. By default, the API always returns 1 available room type. This can be increased to return more.
Join the API discussion on LinkedIn or send questions directly to our team of API experts for assistance. You can also learn more about the new Hotel API or check out the full list of new features.